Alex At Home

Thoughts about gardening, cooking and living by the beach in California

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Man Eats Dog

OK, I am from England and we all know that the are big animal lovers, but how does eating a corgi help the ban cause? Maybe I've been in the US too long, because I am really not seeing the logic here. I am talking about the BBC article I read this morning reporting that performance artist Mark McGowan ate a corgi (which if you did not know is the breed of dog favored by the British ) on London's Resonance FM radio, accompanied by Yoko Ono.

Apparently, McGowan, who is a vegetarian, ate the (or a couple of bites of corgi) to protest about Prince Philip's ill-treatment of a fox during a fox-hunt. The Royal Society of the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals stated that the fox did not suffer (actually I couldn't find anywhere what happened to the fox - it was being hunted by a hungry pack of dogs, so I assume that might constitute suffering?), and McGowan was pointing out the RSPCA's inability to prosecute a member of the Royal family by eating one of the Royal family's favorite type of dog. You get it?

The corgi which died of natural causes was prepared with apples, onion and seasoning and made into meatballs. I guess because McGowan is a vegetarian, he didn't know that it's not the smartest thing to eat an animal that died of natural causes - I mean, did it have a heart attack, pneumonia or some dog disease like parvo or distemper? Either way, it's creepy and I still don't see how it helps to raise awareness of the cruelty of the hunt, let alone stop it. The radio presenter was not convinced, however, that it was actually a corgi, but McGowan said it was like nothing he's seen before - it was gray and smelled funny, so yes, it must have been corgi!

Labels: , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

  • At 7:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Good post.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home